Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spotlight on Goaltending for the Blackhawks


Henry Du posted this today in our Blackhawks Fans Community on Google+:
+Ron Villejo's question about the Hawks' prospects reminded me that I should share this site with you folks if you are curious about where Chicago's draft picks are in the system.
Good site - Hockey's Future
I commented,

Wow, awesome site, Henry! 

That was my sense from the news that the Hawks have really good talent coming up the ranks at the center position. But I hadn't even thought much about prospects at goaltending, except for Raanta. 

Annti Raanta 
I was hoping Emery would stay, as his superb play allowed Quenneville to conserve Crawford. Crawford played the fewest games, going into the playoffs, among the goaltenders he faced: Howard, Quick and Rask. I'd argue that even though Emery didn't play a second of playoff hockey, he was a key contributor to the Cup win. 

We all hope that Khabibulin will be just as strong of a contributor in the backup role, as there won't be any goalie controversy this coming season. Of course, strong play on his part will also ease pressure on Raanta and allow him to develop, as planned, and get used to playing North American hockey. So big questions surround the veteran goalie. 

Nikolai Khabibulin
I didn't realize that the Hawks were weak on goaltending prospects. Raanta, Whitney and Simpson have respectable talent scores (7.0) but the probability of realizing their potential is low (D). I have to study the assessment methods and process, but it's important to note that "a player's potential is extremely fluid." The Hawks seem to be good at developing young players and preparing them for a strong future. 
Nicely written, +Ron Villejo. And about the goalies, just remember: Chicago's model is like Detroit's -- serviceable goalie. So, we don't need any blue-chipper goalies per se. 
With all the back-to-back games this coming season, I think Bulin will see at least 15-20 games...which is not bad for his age. Just hope we get the Bulin that almost cost Chicago their "streak" last year and not the inconsistent one that played for the Oilers after he came back from injury.
+Henry Du Thanks, Henry! Because of the Olympics, I guess, we're going to have another compressed schedule. Well, the Bulin Wall is coming to a superb hockey team, with a good mix of veteran and young talent and with a great commitment to winning. I don't know what he's like off-the-ice, but I'm sure Quenneville will be looking to him, in part, to be a role model and a mentor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment