Monday, February 10, 2014

Sports Teams Must Lose Lame Animal Names


(image credit)
New team, new name.  A water fowl that catches fish, excuse me?

(image credit)
I visualize white ducks gliding effortlessly across our pond, a placid air about them, sometimes with ducklings trailing the mama duck.  But for a rough-and-tumble hockey team?  You get the picture.

(image credit)
Designers can design it with a mean look, but it's still just a pretty bird.  Not exactly fitting for a football team, is it.

(image credit)
It reminds me of Flipper.  That smart, earnest and friendly dolphin with a show of his own from yesterdays.

(image credit)
Can a name be any more lame than this?  It's probably fitting for a team with a 100-year history of pennant futility.  I think playful, lovable and protected.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment