Friday, October 11, 2013

The Spiritual in "Legend of Bagger Vance"


The trick is to find your swing.  You lost your swing, so we got go to find it.  Now it's somewhere... in the harmony... of all that is... all that was... all that will be.
Oh, no, sir, it was just a moment ago.  Time for you to come on out the shadows, Junuh.  Time for you to choose.  Yes, you can.  But you ain't alone.  I'm right here with ya'.  I've been here all along.  Now play the game.  Your game.
Fix your eyes on Bobby Jones.  Look at his practice swing, almost like he's searching for something.  Then he finds it.  Watch how he settle hisself right into the middle of it.  Feel that focus.  He got a lot of shots he could choose from.  Duffs and tops and skulls.  There's only one shot that's in perfect harmony with the field.  One shot that's his, authentic shot, and that shot is gonna choose him.  There's a perfect shot out there tryin' to find each and every one of us.  All we got to do is get ourselves out of its way, let it choose us.  Can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay.  You got to look with soft eyes.  See the place where the tides and the seasons and the turnin' of the Earth all come together.  Where everything that is, becomes one.  You got to seek that place with your soul, Junuh.  Seek it with your hands, don't think about it.  Feel it.  Your hands is wiser than your head ever gonna be.  Now I can't take you there, Junuh.  Just hopes I can help you find a way.  Just you, that ball, that flag.  And all you are.  
"The Legend of Bagger Vance" is one of my all-time favorite films, because it speaks to the essence, the spirit, and the poetry of golf.  Sports, in general, really.

Cycling is my sport, and I rode quite a lot when I lived in Dubai.  I have strong legs, and they generate a lot of power for me to out-sprint my younger mates.  But climbing even small hills was a struggle.  Still I was determined to get stronger and conquer my anxiety on those climbs, so I worked at it.

One time I had a peak experience, which frightened me for just a moment.  I was riding up a short climb, when I saw the ground level out below me.  I saw it shift from incline to flat, or at least I thought I saw it shift, as I powered the finish almost effortlessly.  I was astounded with how I rode on that climb.

Another time I was well-ensconced in our double pace line, speeding along at a fast clip.  Suddenly it felt quiet and slow.  It was as if I could hear the rhythmic purring of the bicycle gears.  At that speed I normally have to concentrate hard, not so much on riding per se, but on pacing my energy.  But on this occasion I actually had to slow down, or else I was going to run into the rider in front of me.  I was so astounded that I had to tell myself to slow down a handful of times.

Yet another time, a small group of friends and I were again in a double pace line, zipping at high speed.  I asked a friend if we were going downhill, and she said No.  Hmm, I thought to myself, we must have a tailwind, then. It was like that, all the way to our turn to lead the double pace line.  That's a tough position to be, because we have the face the wind head-on, while shielding others behind us.  My legs felt so ungodly strong, and I was going so fast, that later on my friends commended with "Nice pull."  Which meant they kept up behind me, but found it a bit tough.    

I've played golf only a few times, but I certainly have deep sense for what is going in these scenes from "The Legend of Bagger Vance."  

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment