Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jebel Hafeet Ride with the Filipino Boys




It was May 9th 2008, and the Filipino Boys from Wolfi's Bike Shop and I were back in Jebel Hafeet.  This time, we were just riding, not racing.  My legs are thick and strong, and my body is stocky.  So I wasn't necessarily made for mountain climbing.  But my friendships with Julio and Janice, soon after my arrival in Dubai, back in 2006, drew me into it.  

I braved that Jebel Hafeet climb in February 2008, on my own, and did decently.  I clawed 9.5 of the 12 kilometers up to the summit, then took a break.  Unfortunately, my groin and my hamstring locked up, and I could hardly walk, let alone get back on the bike.  I didn't pay much attention to mountain climbing, however, so when were back three months later, I could ride only 3 or 4 kilometers.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I started climbing, then headed back down to warm up my legs further.  That helped only so much.

Come summer 2009, I learned to stick to the flats, and for the six months between August that year and February 2010, I was in a zone with my cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment