Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Stanley Cup Stunner [squared]


I just posted the following on our Chicago Blackhawks Fans community on Google+:

Home page from Sports Illustrated, immediately after the thrilling Game 6 victory
When Lucic scored, I was, like, 'Oh, man, Game 7.' But that thought lasted only a few seconds.

I don't actually bite my nails, but I had my hands in fists and held them close to my mouth: 'Come on, Hawks, you can do it. Let's go, Hawks, you can do it.'

I repeated this over and over, as the minutes wound down and slipped away, like water you try to cup with your hands.

I was eyeballs glued to the TV the whole game. Three feet away, standing up the whole time.

After that Lucic go-ahead goal, I was watching the play and looking up at the clock. Looking up at the clock, watching the play. Back-and-forth.

Then, of course, it was getting time for Crawford to get to the bench. NBC had a picture-in-picture shot of him.

I had no thought about the Hawks' powerless play, i.e., whether the extra attacker would even make any difference. I had no thought. Period.

Then, it was Kane. Then, it was Keith. Then, it was Toews. Then, it was Bickell.

Stunning. I'm stunned.

My wife is not a sports fan, but she was trying to watch the game, too. I was yelling, I was fist-pumping, I was grunting. Whatever. I'm totally insane.

Eddie O was still trying to do his post-play analysis, I think. But the Hawks were right back at it.

Frolik fires. Kruger retrieves. Oduya shoots. Bolland stuffs it in.

My daughter calls my wife, and she has to scurry out of the room to talk to her. Why?

Because I'm insane [squared]. I'm stunned [cubed].

Hawks win, Hawks win!

Oh, yeah, wait ... 58 seconds, left. The longest minute in any hockey player's or fan's life.

Now, 'Hawks win'?

Hell, yeah, baby.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment