Monday, January 5, 2015

ESPN 30 for 30: Robbed



Long before there was Mike Tyson, there were Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, George Foreman and Leon Spinks.  But in my younger days, that is, the 1970s, it was Muhammad Ali who captivated my attention and imagination: his flair, his poetry and his finesse took him well above the brutishness of others in the sport.  This third heavyweight bout between Norton and him took place on September 28th 1976, amid quite a free for all inside and outside Yankee Stadium.  The New York Police Department were picketing the event, indicating, I imagine, insufficient security for people.  It didn't help matters that the unanimous decision in favor of Ali, who seemed outmatched, suggested something rather foul and fishy among the judges.  Boxing no longer captivates me, but for several years I loved it as much as I love football now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment